Some of you may remember this game where my 190D temp gauge creeps up and down.
Well the last 2 days its up (yeah I know, sell when its up ;)
Anyway tonight we pulled in the driveway and I jumped out with my IR
thermometer. The temp gauge read 100C or just above (meaning just above the
line between 80 and 120 which I presume is 100C.

The highest I could find on the engine was the joint where the output hose,
vent hose and sender sit which was right about 190F. Google tells me thats
about 87C which seems to me not too bad. I know its hotter in the engine but
how much?
This test was made after ~12 miles of 50-60mph driving. I also measured a
temperature gradient across the radiator from ~100F at the inlet to maybe 75F
at the output.

The radiator is ~6 months old, the behavior of the temp gauge changed not one
bit when I got it, though the old radiator was leaking. The thermostat and
radiator cap are ~9 months old and also didn't change the temp gauge behavior.
Plenty of coolant in the bottle, I even topped up to be sure. Its green but
only 6 months old. I've been considering it test coolant to be changed once the
problem was worked out.

There are at least 2 temp sensors I could find, theres one up high by the
output hose and another on the passenger side of the engine down below the
exhaust manifold. I pulled the plug from the high one to see if it was dirty
and maybe causing odd readings. It wasn't and hasn't changed behavior with a
little cleaning.

Help! This is driving me insane. Considering the temps I found tonight I'm
thinking the engine is fine and I'm getting bad data from the gauge but how do
I troubleshoot who is giving me bad data? I do have another gauge I could swap
in...

-Curt