BTW, when the day came for me to depart Sondrestromfjord (Sondrestrom Air Base), Greenland, for the last time in Feb '79, the USAF C-141 that was supposed to bring me home (near Ontario, CA, then) was delayed. I was sitting in wing commander's office coupla hours later "shooting the bull," when Danish lady at base operations called me too ask if I'd like to take a "hop" to Winnipeg, Manitoba, on a Cessna 210 that was on the ramp at that time refueling. I quickly thought, "180 knots for how many 'days' to Winnipeg; how do I get out of Winnipeg, etc.?" I refused the offer and planned to wait coupla more days for the C-141. 'Bout 30 minutes later, Danish lady called again, "A Danish Hawker Siddeley 225 (twin engine business jet much like a Cessna Citation) will be landing to refuel in about 20 minutes. He's going to Lincoln, NE. I already asked the pilot if he'd take you aboard. He says , 'Yes.' Do you wanta take it?" I took it and was shortly on the way at 450 knots, or so.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Manitoba Travel in Washington Post

Our advantages are almost the same as our disadvantages.

By that I mean our isolation. We are a long way from most other major urban centers. So travel anywhere else in the civilized world is a significant trip.

However, in a matter of minutes one can be in the wilderness and that is not the case in many urban areas.

Not that Winnipeg is a total backwater in the sense that we do have things like ballet and theater and that may well be partly because of our isolation as well.

And of course, if one talks to the sports fans, we also have NHL hockey once again. However, if the US dollar ever climbs back out of the dumpster, that hockey team is going to be very expensive and may not survive.

Randy