The Volt would be closer to the silver bullet if it had a Diesel engine
(and was engineered/built by MB).
Yes, I promote Diesel and MB with the same obnoxiusness that the greenies
promote their vehicles of choice, so I'm not throwing stones.

FYI - someone thought that if the battery/motor died, the Volt would be
dead in the water - not true. The planetary gear box can drive the wheels
with either or both electric or gas engine. It does run on only the gas
engine under some circumstances (passing at highway speeds?), but I don't
remember the details. I was impressed with the design of the the drive
train, but it doesn't tqake a lot fo impress me.

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager