I don't understand the animosity of this group toward electric cars.

Don't discount the smugness factor of their proponents. Tres irritating.

I think that the best compromise is probably technology similar to the
Volt: a series hybrid, with a simple (relatively) electric drivetrain

I do too.  The onboard charger should be a small high-speed
turbine/alternator arrangement designed for optimum efficiency
at a single load point, that gauged to best recharge the pack.
No cooling system, one moving part.  Cheap and reliable in
production quantities, and small.

[Pious] also has direct mechanical drive, engine to wheels, with no need of the electric propulsion system.

The electric motor is also the starter, I though.  Very
important to the process!

-- Jim