My 240D went through a few years of intermittent no-juicy-no-starty. I ran a hot wire from the fuse block into the dash, put a intermittent pushbutton switch on the lower-left dash near the door. The other side of the switch was run directly to the small terminal in the starter.

At the time, no one had heard of the ign switch electrics ever wearing out. So I ran several years with the push button. When it didn't start with the key, I'd hit the pushbutton and it took right up. I eventually figured out it was the switch, and replaced it, and never needed the pushbutton after that.

The ign switch does wear out sometimes, especially in 25+ year old Diesels with lots of start cycles.

I suppose I should have told everyone is a 4 speed. I stopped on the way
home to pick up my new glasses and when I came back out it started up just
fine. So I have no idea. I reckon that it was a problem with the ignition
electric in the dash, it would not have started. I'm going to go out in a
couple of minutes and test the small wire to the solenoid for voltage when
the key is on.

Bob R