Get a ratcheting wrench (GearWrench) to get those GPs out. It is fiddly and you will scrape your fingers but it is doable but Not Fun.

--R

On 10/29/12 9:21 AM, Scott Ritchey wrote:
Long time ago, but I changed mine (82 300SD) without removing any coolant
lines, as I recall.  Also be sure to clean out the carbon in the hole before
installing new glow plugs.

The glow control may (or may not) be working without the light.  The light
is for the driver and is somewhat independent of the voltage to the glow
plugs.  An inop light usually means something wrong with one or more glow
plugs.  You did check the fusible link in the glow box on the left inside
fender?  Hairline cracks in that link can be hard to see until you loosen
one of the screws (and half of the fuse falls off).

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Hans Neureiter
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 4:27 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Glows

My old 300SD became hesitant to start lately. Lots of smoke for the first
minute or so.
No Preglow light. Tested the plugs and found #1 dead.
I attempted to change all the plugs but gave up after #1 (Light comes on
again).
I removed the fuel lines between the delivery valves and injectors but
could not figure out how to reach #5 plug. Coolant return line from heater
and filter housing in the way.
Two questions:
Is it possible to replace #4 & 5 plugs without removing the obstructions?
Does the preglow system work in spite of no indicator lght?