'82, 617 w/ pencil plugs.
Correct me if I err, the circuitry in the GPR compares the resistance
 value of #1 with the sum of the other four. Should be 1:4 but at minimum
1:3.
In my case #1 was dead (OL:4) - thus no light (and no glow at all?).
Replacing #1 accomplished light back on (~5 sec.), easier start and lot
less smoke on start.
It's glowing again!

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What year? 617 engine? I did glows on my '81 300TD without removing
> anything. Its dammed fiddly but can be done.
>
> AFAIK no light = no glow at least at first, at some point the light goes
> out even though glowing may continue.
>
> -Curt
>
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 03:26:44 -0500
> From: Hans Neureiter <diese...@gmail.com>
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: [MBZ] Glows
>
> My old 300SD became hesitant to start lately. Lots of smoke for the first
> minute or so.
> No Preglow light. Tested the plugs and found #1 dead.
> I attempted to change all the plugs but gave up after #1 (Light comes on
> again).
> I removed the fuel lines between the delivery valves and injectors but
> could not figure out how to reach #5 plug. Coolant return line from heater
> and filter housing in the way.
> Two questions:
> Is it possible to replace #4 & 5 plugs without removing the obstructions?
> Does the preglow system work in spite of no indicator lght?
>
> --
> Hans Neureiter, Katy, TX
> '82 300SD
> '01 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI