I got to agitating about our local fire district here, and learned a bit about residential sprinkler systems. The fire chief asserted that a system costs $2-$4/ft2, which on top of say $200+/ft2 for the kinds of houses around here is not too shabby. The kicker is that high-end houses here probably go closer to $300-$400/ft2 (or more!), and have hurricane windows, Hardy siding, and metal roofs. Fire chief says unless there is clearly someone inside who needs to be saved, his guys will watch the house burn, protect neighboring properties. They are not able to penetrate that kind of construction, so rather than risk his guys they will just keep it under control while it burns. He asserts the fire suppression will deal with the internal fires so that is why you need it -- to save yo own selfs and your house.

He also explained that due to modern materials and interior decorating and furniture (amount and materials) and such, the flashover time now for a fire is measured in a few minutes; whereas, some years back it could be 10-15min or more, so that the FD had some chance of saving the structure if they got the call soon enough. (and back then the construction was much less repulsive to their efforts) Today, pretty much watch it burn if it is inside and fully involved.

About the only thing his guys have control over is response time from getting the alarm to reaching the structure, and that is further mitigated by how far is the station, road conditions, property conditions (driveway too narrow, trees, etc.), water availability, and lots of other factors they don't really have much control over. Our local guys, even in a fairly rural area, do a pretty good job, ahead of national averages. It basically boils down to how fast they roll their trucks, the rest is conditional.

All quite interesting. I am impressed by just how "into it" the firefighters are. Almost to the point of being creepy. A buddy of mine is a fire commissioner, and he tells me some of the inside stuff.

--R