So, I have to wonder if the reason we are moving ahead is that the current crop of engineers was growing up in the heyday of the muscle car? They want the power and we now have better tools to produce it.

And, I would agree that most commuters don't need a whole lot of horsepower. My 76 115 300D is reasonably good in most cases and I think it is 77HP if memory serves to be correct. It struggles a bit in certain spots. We don't have a whole lot of freeways with merge ramps around here much so I don't have to get up to high speed all that quickly in most cases. The one spot that I run into periodically that makes me want more umph is a spot on the trip home from the lake. It is on the bypass around Kenora. If I go through town which I often do, then I have to come to a complete stop at a T intersection where the highway through town feeds me back onto the bypass heading west out of Kenora. So, I have to stop, and then make a 90 degree left turn onto the highway where the traffic is moving at 60+ mph. AND the first half a mile or more going west is uphill. I won't be up to much more than 50 mph by the time I crest that hill. I can easily get over the speed limit going down the other side, but getting to the crest of that hill from a dead stop is an issue and I often end up with transport trucks on my back bumper even if I have not pulled out when there are any vehicles approaching that are all that close. As you will have guessed, this is 2 lane so there is no left lane for them to pull into and go around me. I can get over onto the shoulder a bit but then they are probably over the center line if they want to go around me and there may well be oncoming traffic that would also have to shift right onto the shoulder at least in part. Not a good situation. It would appear that most current vehicles are better able to get up to speed than my old diesel.

Randy