On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 21:44:27 -0800 "Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>
wrote:

> Well, Craig, thanks for clearing that up. I learn something new
> everyday. My goodness, what an undertaking. I figgered there was a
> reason no one else asked about this. It also answers the question of
> where do 300D's with manual transmissions come from - some of them
> anyway.

I was fortunate to have a wrecking yard about a mile-and-a-half from our
house in Austin that had an imported European 123.130 (the exact same
type of car I was trying to make, but this one was that way from the
factory) in its stock. I got a number of parts from that car including the
transmission, driveshaft, pedal hangers, and maybe the correct OM617
manual transmission flywheel (though they could have had that in the
shop). It was in the yard because its #1 piston had come out the side of
the block. Coincidentally (or maybe not), the #1 port on the head into the
exhaust manifold was very carboned up.

Craig