Two words:  Allen Edmonds.

My Dad was an A-E guy all of his life, and I often hassled him about his
expensive shoes.  I grew up and got smart.

The trick is to not buy them at list, but wait for the sales.  Get on their
online mailing list.  They had several online sales in the past month, which
are now expired.  Find one of their retailers in your area and get fitted so
you know your size - this saves a lot of hassles with having to guess and
return shoes purchased online.

I wouldn't even have a lot of qualms about buying them at list.  Here's why:

I have 6-7 pairs of A-E shoes in my closet right now.  I have two more that
they refused to recraft, mainly because of their age.  Of the pairs I still
wear, the NEWEST pair was purchased in 1996, with the others ranging in age all
the way back to 1991-2 or thereabouts.

I had the privilege of living in Port Washington, WI, where A-Es are made.  If
you're lucky enough to be in the area, the first week of July is their "tent
sale".  This is the annual meeting for their salespeople, and they put up a
huge tent in front of the plant where they sell discontinued and factory
seconds at as much as 50% off.  The salespeople staff the tent, so every person
you speak to knows the shoes better than any retail store clerk will.

The sales people will often point out why a particular shoe is a second, and
believe me, the stuff they showed me was imperceptible to me and probably every
other person who looked at them.

Most of my shoes have been recrafted at least once, which costs around $100
depending on the package you choose.

I can take a pair of brown tasseled wingtips I bought in 1994 for around $200
(a $400 shoe new) and add in the recrafting I had done around 2001 and I have a
shoe that cost me $300 that has lasted close to 20 years (and is still going.)

I do want some new black loafers and maybe another brown shoe, so I am planning
on making a trip to Port Washington in July.  As far as I'm concerned, it's
money well spent.

On a related note, one of the finest shoe repair guys in the nation is about 40
minutes away from me in Lakeland, FL.  He recrafted one of my pairs of A-Es for
the same price and did a fantastic job.  I highly recommend him for any serious
shoe repair.

http://www.mcfarlandsshoerepair.net/

Dan