Used to be that you took the night soil (poop) and contents of the piss pot (if
you did not live in town, where that was needed at the tannery) to the garden.
Three sided compost pen where you emptied the chamber pot, cover it with hay,
toss the liquid on, and kitchen scraps went there as well.  Weeds too.  Turn it
once a month, and in the spring you amend the soil in the garden.

Granddad told me about this when I asked him about the quality of his veggies.
After I walked to the garden and found him discharging the processed beer into
the hay filled bin.  He was not interested in walking back inside while
gardening and the old fridge was stocked to the gills with cases of beer.
Gardening was a six pack affair.  That allowed enough time away from Granny,
got the work done and kept Granddad hydrated.

clay