The lack of insulation makes for old house charm. :-)

Back then fiber glass didn't exist.  In some rural areas, houses were
clapboard siding, studs, and tongue and groove or simply pine boards on the
inside with a tin roof.  Exterior clapboards may never have been painted.
 Wood stove inside, possibly serving double duty as a stove.  The ground
level floor could have been supported with slabbed tree trunks, leveled
with a bottle.