On 09/02/2013 9:41 PM, Craig wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 19:35:08 -0800 (PST) Frederick Moir
<fredy4.s...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Go Ariens too!
8 hp oldie with chains.
It's about as old as my youngest kid!
Still starts easily (Mobil One y'know).
It was struggling to move the snow today as the chute was lower than
the snow, that first cut took some time. I ache all over, and under too!
Stay warm and safe, don't overdo.
Also have a Sears, don't ask.
So how do these Ariens compare with a Toro 724 like I have?

It has a 120VAC starter, which does come in handy.

Craig

I have had 2 Ariens. The first was an old used 24" 5HP model. It started fine and ran very well and I sold it for more than I paid for it. The only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted something that would throw the snow further. I got a new Ariens maybe 5 years ago. 27" cut and 8 HP. Newer models have better control of the snow chute. Easier and faster to rotate and move up and down etc. Helpful in tight spaces where one needs to turn the chute as one turns the machine.

Do you folks have drift cutters? i note references to the snow being higher than the machine. Mine has metal bars that can be bolted onto the sides. They stick up a foot or more and the purpose is to cut the snow so it gets pulled into the front opening if I understand it right. I have yet to use them as I have yet to encounter snow that deep.

My mother had an old Toro 8HP. My sister and her family have it now. It has always been a good machine too.

Randy