I used ('til 30-40 years ago, anyway) to see lotsa slabs poured in NC without rebar - only WWF; even helped with several as a teenager - 60 years ago. I'd bet that, if a builder could've poured a slab without rebar anywhere, he would've.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tampa Florida man swallowed by sinkhole under bedroom

On 04/03/2013 12:57 PM, Dan Penoff wrote:
True. Nearly everything, at least in this part of the state, is slab on grade.

And yes, it's got rebar in it. However, in the non-load bearing portions it can be pretty thin from the construction I have seen.

Their are footers poured around the perimeter to support the walls, but otherwise there is nothing under the slab.

When you consider that there are no footers or beams in the center of the house, if the ground below it simply disappears the house is going to follow it right down the hole.

If you read the details of the story it explains how the sinkhole opened up in the center of the house. This explains why the walls were still standing, as the area under the exterior walls had not collapsed.

Dan

That would be like basements here. There are footings under the basement walls and they as well as the walls have steel rebar in them but the floor is poured after and is just concrete and often only a couple of inches thick. It cracks all over the place of course but rarely shifts enough to cause much trouble.

In Florida one would not need to worry much about frost etc so it probably does not shift much except in a situation like this one.

Randy