On Mar 3, 2013 3:03 PM, "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> I have a pressure bleeder (Eazi-Bleed) but I don't like doing it, after I
had a problem with a cap the topped off under pressure one time and sprayed
brake fluid all over the place (and we all know how destructive that can be
to painted surfaces.)

I built my own for my Volvo, using an extra cap.  I could see a value to a
safety catch, but if your cap is screwed on straight it doesn't seem like
you've got a lot more risk than when you are fast braking on the highway.

I have read on the Ford Trucks sites that you can't effectively vacuum
bleed brakes in newer ABS Fords, but I have not seen an explanation.  The
Volvo users used to advocate pressure bleeding exclusively on the newer ABS
Volvos, but again without explanation as far as I recall.

Summary, I have no evidence, but it seems like people prefer pressure
bleeding in other forums where I've participated.  Maybe that says more
about me than vacuum bleeding though... ;)

Best,
Tim

> That's why I like vacuum bleeding.  Plus I can control everything from
where I am, and not have to worry about pressurizing the reservoir and
stuff popping loose.

> I have never tried vacuum bleeding an ABS system, however, which is why I
asked about this.  Anyone else want to weigh in?  I'm just trying to get a
consensus before I try it, if I do.

> Dan
>

> On Mar 3, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Scott Ritchey wrote:
>

> > I don't have ABS brakes on my SD, but I've been pleased with a budget
> > pressure bleeder I bought some years ago for about $50.  But you can
also
> > make your own for a fraction on that.
> >
> > It's basically a very small hand-pumped garden sprayer with a brake
> > reservoir cover on the end of the hose.  The commercial version also
has a
> > pressure gauge to help manage pressure. In operation, you put a couple
cans
> > of DOT 4 in the "bottle" the sprayer, screw on the reservoir cap, and
pump
> > it up to about 15 psi.  Then just crack each bleed nipple (usual
sequence)
> > until clear fluid comes out.  If you are fussy you can use a piece of
hose
> > and a jar to catch the old fluid.  Some folks (who bleed often)
alternate