rumor has it that Robert wrote:

> That makes sense to me, but when I asked about this soon after I had
> purchased the car several years ago I was told that the dealer who had
> sold it (and who was no longer in business here at that time) had used
> the system of selling the car titled according to the date of sale rather
> than otherwise, regardless of how long it had been in his inventory. This
> seems strange to me that he could have legally done this but....  I was
> also told that if the car was indeed a '76, the glow plug switch would
> have been incorporated into the key ignition switch as it was in later
> years instead of on a seperate pull-switch, as it is in mine. Also I was
> told that the oil filter could be accessed from under the hood in '76,
> while I still need to be under the car to change the filter in mine. The
> date of manufacture is stamped as 9/75, so I guess it could logically go
> either way as necessary, and this car must have been built near the time
> they made those changes. Anybody have some more comments about this I
> would like to hear them.
> Mick

Sound to me like the difference between a W115 and and W123. 240D was a
model available on both chassis. And the years overlapped. *grin* Makes
for a whole lot of fun for _us_ to figure out!!

My book says that in 1976 the production of 240D was nearly 16,000 W115
and 21,000 W123.

              Philip, who's never owned a W115