There was no US version of 123 chassis. There were euro 76 123's but not in the US.

Fmiser wrote:

rumor has it that Robert wrote:

That makes sense to me, but when I asked about this soon after I had
purchased the car several years ago I was told that the dealer who had
sold it (and who was no longer in business here at that time) had used
the system of selling the car titled according to the date of sale rather
than otherwise, regardless of how long it had been in his inventory. This
seems strange to me that he could have legally done this but....  I was
also told that if the car was indeed a '76, the glow plug switch would
have been incorporated into the key ignition switch as it was in later
years instead of on a seperate pull-switch, as it is in mine. Also I was
told that the oil filter could be accessed from under the hood in '76,
while I still need to be under the car to change the filter in mine. The
date of manufacture is stamped as 9/75, so I guess it could logically go
either way as necessary, and this car must have been built near the time
they made those changes. Anybody have some more comments about this I
would like to hear them.
Mick

Sound to me like the difference between a W115 and and W123. 240D was a
model available on both chassis. And the years overlapped. *grin* Makes
for a whole lot of fun for _us_ to figure out!!

My book says that in 1976 the production of 240D was nearly 16,000 W115
and 21,000 W123.

              Philip, who's never owned a W115