But Dan, what you did with your non-scientific survey is great!  Its
important that more people understand that all parts aren't created equally
and installing the wrong ones could actually devalue the car.  If we all
start demanding higher quality parts, suppliers like AutohausAZ and
manufacturers like MTC and Uro parts will respond by increasing quality or
see reduced sales.

Our cars are becoming classics.  That's right, the W123 is a classic car
now.  So are W116s.  Slowly, owners mentality will change from "fix it
cheap and fast so I can get to work" to "fix it right, I want this car to
last another 35 years."

I have a terrible confession to make:  last week I ordered a hard top stand
for a R107 I bought last weekend on eBay.  It arrived today.  I saw the box
from a distance as I approached.... the big blue "Uro" logo on the side.  I
was getting ready to lecture the guys in my office here about buying
quality parts for their cars when I saw my name was on the box.  :-(  It
was my stand.  If I knew it was going to be made by them, I'd have never
bought it.  As careful as I am, I still fell for their tricks!

Jaime

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> Jaime,
>
> You might be interested in a casual non-scientific survey of Internet
> parts vendors I made a week ago. it was rather distressing to find that
> many suppliers offer substandard parts made offshore, the URO brand being
> one of the most prevalent suppliers.
>
> If you do some comparisons between suppliers you can easily pick these
> out, as they are almost always a substantial amount less than other
> suppliers.
>
> This is why it is critical to have a trusted and knowledgeable supplier
> such as a Rusty or Jabba who knows the difference and can filter this
> information.
>
> Based on some of the phone calls I made, one example being Autohausaz, the
> person on the phone either could not make a distinction or failed to offer
> an alternative to the cheap parts. In fact, one supplier I called who will
> remain nameless argued with me as to why I would want to "waste my money"
> on a higher priced part from a different supplier. The concept of quality
> versus price was nonexistent to them, or so it seemed.
>
> My little experiment last week made me realize that many of the online
> parts suppliers are selling on one thing and one thing only: price.
>
> Sadly, that's not their fault, but the fault of the consumer.
>
> It's also why I went back to my local dealer and was able to work out a
> discount that is fair and equitable to both of us. I'll still buy parts
> from Trent as long as he does well, but if the difference in price is
> marginal, or I want the part tomorrow, I'll go to my dealer.
>
> Dan
>
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The biggest issue I see with them is that many of their parts of low
> > quality.  For example, looking at suspension parts for a W123, I see lots
> > of parts that are only available in the "Uro" brand.  These should be
> > avoided at all costs, the parts only last for a short time.  Buyer
> beware.
> >
> > They do seem to have good prices on genuine Bosch stuff, which is a
> > positive point.
> >
> > Jaime

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/