'Need to be careful that, as bucket gets nearly full, you don't vacuum a lot of air into bottom of bucket which may cause turbulence in the bucket causing oil to be picked up by vac hose. That's why I have plenty of gap/space between oil discharge and vac hose inlet both in top of bucket. Gap/space allows the air flow, if any, to slow down enough to drop the oil; 'never had a problem of oil into vac hose. YMMV ;<)

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Topsider Oil removal

I have been thinking of putting a five gallon paint bucket to use as an extraction unit - here's what I was thinking - please offer any critiques:

Five gallon paint bucket.

Drill a hole and thread a hose barb fitting into the lid opposite the collapsible "spigot". Put a bushing on the inside of the lid on the threads that project from the hose barb fitting, and thread on a piece of 1/2" PVC or something similar that would extend to near the bottom of the bucket. This would be the dip tube where the oil would come out into the bucket.

Use an adapter for my shop vac to fit on to the spigot to provide the vacuum.

Attach the appropriate sized tubing to the hose barb fitting to insert into the dipstick tube on the car.

Seems like this would work just fine, and the dip tube would minimize the amount of oil that might possibly get drawn into the shop vac.

Thoughts?

Grant - a question about your brake system fill/flush - can you "back feed" ABS braking systems?

Dan