The self-levelling system requires a base pressure to function. I believe the
function is described in 32-501.

Typically the base pressure valve (integral to the levelling valve but not
adjustable/influenced by the position of the lever) will weaken and you'll have
insufficient pressure in the system. It will then sag and may even
bounce/wallow, but it should be soft.

A very hard ride is either too much pressure (lever is maladjusted and car
rides too high) or spheres are shot (gas pressure has dissipated).

Car should ride at correct height even with lever in "exhaust" position. Moving
lever to fill will result in the car rising. Once risen, the car should stay at
that height even with the lever in the "neutral" position.

DO NOT ADJUST the position of the lever relative to the valve shaft. Only
adjust the lever's connection to the sway bar.

Spheres last five years at most, although they are rarely changed with such
frequency. Your local Citroen service person may be able to recharge the
spheres, but new ones aren't that expensive IIRC. You could quickly build a
test rig with a bottle jack - plans widely available for Citroen sphere
testers...

HTH,

D.