ATTABOY coming up! How 'bout a wide plumbing clamp with some muffler seal putty ('don't know what it's called) gooped under it between clamp and pipe?
There are some plumbing clamps that already have the "can" attached to them.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Dillon" <meadedil...@bellsouth.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:05 PM
Subject: [MBZ] How I spent my Saturday

Went over to a friends place and made a more permanent fix to my exhaust situation. You may remember that the catalytic converter rusted and broke, so I cut it out and tried to substitute with a straight pipe. Never could get all the joints to seal, poor car sounded like it had a rice burner fart can exhaust.

Price of a new converter from MB is north of $1600, not an option for me.

Fellow on the MBCA forum gave me some info on Magnaflow aftermarket converters for diesel engines. Found one for $90 from O'reilly, so I ordered that and a bunch of adapters. We also used some of the original muffler pipe (I had earlier replaced both the resonator and the exhaust).

All told, about $130 in parts, then about four hours for the two of us to fit the pieces up and weld it together.

My only beef is the connection to the two front pipes (coming from the exhaust manifold). Hard to find a good match from metric exhaust to American exhaust pipe sizes. I've got two exhaust clamps there, but it still leaks a bit. Probably need to cut up a can and wrap a few layers to fill up the gaps and get a better seal.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC