Yes, the goal was to weld all the joints, but we really needed a lift to get
enough clearance to install the entire assembly.

With the catalytic converter installed, it was too long to get the right angle
for the bends going from horizontal (pipes and converter under the car) to near
vertical (pipes going up to exhaust manifold).  I was limited in how high I
could get the car by the jack stands I had.  The pipes coming off the exhaust
manifold had to fit into a narrow area between firewall, steering gear, and
lower frame cross member.  Hard for me to explain without a picture.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston, SC