I forget which model this is --W123 look for cracks in the main vacuum line, it tends to get brittle where all the hoses connect and nothing will work properly.

A bad brake booster will also cause fits from low vacuum, but they seem to be fairly rare on a Benz (unlike my Dodge Aries).

Cracked plastic lines are an issue, so is the valve that runs the whole locking system on the driver's door. Ditto for punctured diaphragms in the lock actuators (these used to be available, a bit fiddly to put in, but works like new then).

Get the ol MitiVac out and start testing connections and servos, vacuum reservoirs (three, I think, on the W123), and so forth.

Peter