On 06/06/2013 12:45 AM, clay wrote:
At the moment I am doing battle with SWMBA over the replacement for the E300.
I would prefer it just get fixed and life go on, but she has a bug up her ...
bonnet, that a more reliable car be found.  These fit my taste.  What should I
be aware of, and which should be avoided?

clay

Cannot recall what is wrong with the one you have.
Have to suggest that, if the cost of repair is reasonable and the rest of the one you have is good, then you are likely better off keeping it. My truck is in that category. It is an 02 with 170K miles on it and is developing a bit of rust on the driver's side rocker panel. Runs good, AC works etc. Should consider moving on but cannot see anything I want more unless I buy new and I rarely do. Last new one was in 1977. Too much $$.

So, I would be fearful of getting into something that has more issues than what I already have.

Now, having said that, if your good wife has just come to a point in time where she wants, or thinks she wants a different vehicle, then you are not going to win this one. Even if she agrees to fix and keep, you will likely end up changing vehicles for her in the near future.

So, having said that, I think my advice would be to buy newer and probably the newest you think you can afford. Newer vehicles do tend to have some advantages - usually safer - and hopefully a lower likelyhood of issues. For example, my 02 F150 was 5 years old when I got it and I have had it almost 7 years. I have done very little work on it in that time. It has thus been very easy to own and that contributes to my willingness to keep it for the foreseeable future.

My 2 cents for whatever that is worth.

Randy