First house I bought was a 4 bed, 2 bath brick on two acres of land with
trees and fence... total cost $8,000. Decent school within walking
distance, nice neighborhood.

That property has now been Bulldozed, and there is a 12 unit condo on it..
no yard... no trees. school is closed. Neighbors are "bad" [ie. it ain't
safe after dark], and each unit sells for $280K. plus taxes, condo fees, et
al .. ad nausium... Progress?

When I bought the place I was making $100 a week, plus overtime. I paid it
off in full ahead of time... mostly from side jobs..

The poor slacks living there now don't have a chance... and if they did own
a "condo" , do they really "own it' ? [IMHO ,,, not really]

Grant...