Sounds like a cracked head. Did you have the head checked when you did the
head gasket?

Failure path could be, failed head gasket, overheat, cracked head. Replace
gasket, still have leak path... problem remains.

Your description of the present event very much indicates to me the
incursion of compression pressure into the cooling system.

Grant... AZ