Any time someone mentions a Smart, I think back to the BMW Isetta which was somewhat smaller than the Smart. They were popular with some students at the university until one came down Main Street going pretty fast, hit a curb (someone said), and went airborne; landing on the other side of of a cross street. Never heard how the occupants faired, but the cab looked fairly intact in a newspaper picture.

 http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/bmwisetta300.html

Gerry

Isettas were cool. My dad almost bought one. I stopped in at Grassroots BMW this spring, and they have a very nice early isetta in the showroom along with an R27 and a nice R60/2 amongst the new stuff that is not the least bit attractive.