Did we decide that the paint on the new discs gets to stay on or should come off? The 42-0220 instructions say, "Replacement brake discs are protected against corrosion with nitro-cellulose paint. For this reason the corrosion protection on these discs must be removed and the discs degreased before installation. This can be accomplished best with a high-pressure hot water cleaning unit."

Since my high-pressure hot water cleaning unit is out of service at present, I tried some acetone, which did nothing. I did not try hot water but I am thinking that is not going to take the stuff off. The link henifay posted suggests to leave it on, which I have done so far.

BTW the instructions in the box with the rotor is written in Germglish, at least the box says the part was made in Germany but the instructions read like Chinglish. They are pretty funny but mostly just telling you that loosing you're breaks can kill you.

I got one side done this afternoon in between tstorms, remembered I had a tube of grease in the garage from doing the other SD, for a minute there I thought I might need to go to the stealer and get some (and take some grease with me...) but I am good to go. AFter I do the other side I need to do that runout business to get the bearings set right, I have not done that before (my bad on the other car) so any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a dial gauge with a magnetic base. (Yes I can read the instructions, but experience is better...)

--R

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/44908-does-one-need-remove-grey-coating-surface-new-e500-brake-rotor.html

Hendrik
who sneaks a peek on other forums now and then

The last set of disks that I got from Q were painted as well. I wiped the
paint off with a rag soaked in acetone, IIRC.