Yeah, airspeed and altitude, that's the ticket. You run out of either one and you are in a world of hurt. You got radar altimeters, baro altimeters, GPS altimeters, and, oh yeah, look out the window. And the airplane feeling reeeeeeaaaallll sluggish because it is flying too slow and wallowing down to the water? And the runway not coming up where it should be (oh look the runway is wayyyyyyy up there when it should be right there!).

I have never flown a 777, but I am sure it is not wildly different from those Cherokees I used to fly, especially when it comes to figuring out where and how you want to plant it on the ground, and keeping your stick and throttle sorta in sync to get you where you want to go.

--R

On 7/8/13 11:04 AM, WILTON wrote:
Just saying they didn't HAFTA have it for seemingly such a simple approach with runway in sight from many miles out. 'Understood they were cleared for visual approach. Were they depending on ILS or some other system, anyway, and allowing aircraft to take certain steps automatically without any monitoring? Cockpit was evidently filled with men of MANY hours of experience. Couldn't at least ONE of 'em have monitored airspeed and altitude? How much experience does it take to read airspeed and altitude? Not much.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitch Haley" <m...@voyager.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cause of Frisco crash: Poor piloting plus no glide path?

Yeah, how many WEEKS is is OK to leave something like that unfixed at an oceanfront international airport with SFO's traffic volume?

Mitch.

What do you expect form a goobermnt that can't do anything it is supposed to (and required to) do (at great expense), but does all kinds of nefarious stuff it is prohibited from doing at great expense?

WILTON wrote:
> I think the ILS is irrelevant - weren't they cleared for visual approach
> with runway visible from many miles out?
>
> Wilton

Loren:
Is SFO run by the same people that run BART?

Wilton:
Are you saying that visual is preferred and they wouldn't have used ILS if available, or are you saying that a pilot with a non-zero chance of blowing that particular visual landing has no business holding 300 lives in his hands?

Mitch.