First question, I believe, is still not answered. That is the question, Is
this pump in good serviceable condition?

Before spending any more time with timing, I would suggest that question be
answered with a bench test at a reliable diesel shop with a working IP flow
bench and specs for the Benz pump.

Then.. time it from scratch. At this point.. with all the changes made by
the Indy.. who knows where it is for timing?

Just my $0.02 worth..

Grant...