On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Gary Hurst <jabbahur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i consider that a possible explanation.  i know that eastern peaches i can
> buy here are magnificent but california peaches are literally inedible.
> but it is entirely possible that a california peach picked in season in
> california is really quite good.

Out here on the West Coast we can't get any good East Coast produce.
No such thing as a fresh Florida orange, for instance; and when I was
in upstate New York one fall I was astonished at all the varieties of
apples available at farm stands that I'd never seen in Oregon or
California.

Produce from the Central Valley area of California, however,
especially fruit, is wonderful when in season and fresh.  Curt's right
that what makes all the difference is whether it's picked fresh or
picked unripe and thrown on a train car or into a semi for a weeklong
trip across the country.

Alex