It's my information. based on Ford diesel truck discussion board at the
time, the issue with IH / Ford was actually with EPA.  Story I've
repeatedly heard is that Ford was found to have fudged the EPA emission
numbers in order to make the ever tighter EPA restrictions, without
incurring the extreme costs to pay IH to make the engines more "EPA
Compliant".... EPA slapped Ford with HUGE fines and an order that they
could not use the engines without compliance. Ford rushed [really rushed,
way beyond development plans] their own 6.0 diesel engine, with all the EPA
junk jammed on it, but not nicely... That engine almost lost Ford the
diesel truck market. It certainly lost Ford millions in warranty work and
customer goodwill.

As quickly as possible, Ford has developed a new, better, diesel engine..
but it will not have the long legs of history the IH 7.3 diesel has with
billions of miles of use and decades of success. I personally own 5, all
have over 200,000 miles, all are healthy and expected to be for many miles
to come.

The 'new diesels" although EPA compliant, already have developed issues...
time will tell.. with enough customers money... and miles.. just how those
all get sorted.

Worthy of note. International Harvester continued to use and produce the
7.3 engine after their major client [Ford] canceled the nearly 20 yr
contract. The engines they use/used were EPA compliant, so... it seems more
like it was an "executive spitting contest" than a hard mechanical issue.

Bottom line... Ford remains at the top of the heap still in truck sales and
profit, even in these depression era times..

Grant...