On 08/08/2013 11:08 AM, Dieselhead wrote:

I think the new diesel engine is Ford designed and produced.

Did they not have some dispute with IH and that resulted in departure from use of the IH engines?

My mechanic son has done a fair amount of work on diesel pickups in the last year or two. Ford head gaskets etc.
GM injectors etc.
Expensive and difficult to work on.
Either the Dodge with the Cummins is better or his shop does not attract them as I don't think he has done any work on motors in those trucks.
The last one I recall him commenting on was suspension work.

Randy

Cummins has been building Diesel engines for 100 years and know how to do it. (read "My Days with the Diesel" by Clessie Cummins) The problem with the cummins/dogde is weight. That is a heavy sucker.

IH v8 engines are good, but the inline 6 (DT466 etc.) is great. same as the 1066 through 1486 tractors. Frod did their best fro screw up the IH engine from what I've heard. I think that contributed heavily to the divorce. The frod IH was not as good as the International IH v8 Diesel engine.

Frod's ol tractor division could build a Diesel, and they had automotive versions for the RTW. That was sold off and is now a part of CNH, along with Case, what is left of IH farm, and a few others. It seems like they have dropped the frod name, as the new blue tractor are "New Holland" I head the frod 240 and 300 gas engines were the same block as the tractor engines. I'm not sure about that, but I know the 240 block was heavy.

Right now, I don't think frod or gummit motors could build a good Diesel. The isuzu in the GM stuff seems to be ok, but I'm not sure the jury is on on that yet. Isuzu pretty much ripped off the Mercedes OM engines for some models, like the thermoking.

If I had really deep pockets, I would consider a brand new Dodge with the Cummins. I am not sure I want to buy an older one with a lot of miles on it. Some of them tend to get worked really hard. I expect, barring some accidental destruction, I could make a new Dodge last me the rest of my days.

However, I also have to admit that I really do not need a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton with a gas engine probably makes a whole lot more sense. I just like the diesel. Unfortunately, the new diesels have become so fancy that there is no hope of having a lighter duty pickup with an engine as trouble free as my old MB.
IF only there was.

Randy