The original is a 10.9 (the metric equivalent of 8).  Yes, I'll not go lower
than that.  OTOH if the bolt were to be highly stressed again, I would
rather the bolt break than the female threads in the crank be damaged, so
I'm going to call the 10.9 optimal and not even consider a 12.9.

Considering the awkward location for drilling, I think I'll turn a bushing
on my lathe to keep the drill centered and straight.  Just about any
material will work for a 1 shot tool.  1018 CRS machines easily.

Mine turned out easily with a screwdriver on the broken remains.  Try it.

Good call on Omega.  A used OE is the right bolt.