Do NOT knock Chevettes!  A Chevette enabled me to buy a Mercedes.

We purchased a 1976 Chevette from JKJ Chevrolet in Tysons Corner, VA in
late 1975.  We paid the $3,600 list price; I was too naive to even try to
bargain.  Drove it trouble-free for 7 years (only brake repairs were
needed).  We saved up enough to buy our first Mercedes, a 1973 280, in
1982.  The rest is history.