Being a W140 owner I watch the traffic in the area for S600s.

If you desire this sort of car they can be had cheap, even really nice
examples.  The key is to do your due diligence and get a PPI or have records
that show the wiring harness and AC were dealt with in the past.

Amazingly, despite the reputation they have for being significant cash vacuum
cleaners, they're really no worse than the W140 with an M119.  The systems are
much the same and if they have made it this far without issues are fairly
robust.

I think a lot of the reputation they have for reliability (or lack thereof) is
anecdotal.  Granted, they'll beat you up at every gas pump, but if you lust for
this sort of thing they're really not that bad.

Dan