The internet is full of concepts and opinions.  I couldn't stand it, so I went
to one of the largest purveyors of opinion to see what they say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

So it certainly appears that it depends on what country you live in, and in our
country, depends on what state you live in.

My sister lives in California, and there it appears that some have significant
bias toward anyone of Asian descent, no matter the name.  AFAIK there is no
bias here in that direction by anybody other than Aryan skinheads, who are just
biased, period.

It may even depend on what county you live in.  In my county, since I am now
the official expert on the term, both terms will be considered politically
correct to describe anyone living on the left hand side of the time line to
somewhere right of Iraq.  Asian will be considered a more proper term.  However
no one will scorn Oriental, since it's in frequent use by the old timers here.

And absolutely nobody will discuss the actual path of the Orient Express.