Yes, that is what he means, using the Eurocentric designation (orient > rising > sun > east, that sort of thing, coming from the Age of Exploration and Empires and all that, along with a command of the Latin language and the associated etymology).

But he is correct. A good friend of mine married a Chinese girl, very intelligent (she is an economics professor now, Hahvahd, MIT degrees), who grew up in New York City, no car. She learned to drive at like 22 or so, having had no need of a car up til then or any particular experience with them other than the occasional taxi, and really hated driving but had to in Houston to get anywhere (she did not want to ride the Ghetro).

One day we got talking about that subject for some reason, she was all like OMG the Chinese are the worst drivers, me included! We determined, based on her ability to do extremely sophisticated econometric analysis, etc. that the reason for it was they don't grow up in a car/driving/riding culture (realizing that most are first or second generation) and so do not develop the awareness of subtle clues that are all around us and contribute to our ability to drive to varying degrees of wellness. Also recognizing many people have their heads up their posteriors, providing a similar result, oriental, chinee, or whatever. Kinda like being dropped into any culture or situation without that sort of conditioning, you will look like a fool, or worse. Her parents were off the boat, never drove a car. She was a city girl, never drove a car, so cars were like some magical thing to them, more or less.

So to some extent it is a cultural attribute that is on display for all to observe. How one gauges that observation is subject to one's own subjective observations. Clay is also likely somewhat raaaaaaaaacisssssss but that does not really affect the quality of his subjective anecdotal observations in regards to the driving aspect.

Also note that in China the chance of dying in a car crash is something like 10% for all drivers. That is, uh, high.

--R