Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Hattaway <rhatta...@rocketmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Truck for Jamiey

True,
 but we're talking about Ford F-250's. ?There is not a significant
mileage difference between the gas and the diesel versions. ?Mine gets
14 towing the boat, 15 on the road. ?A diesel gets 20.

I was
going to be out $4K up front. ? Maintenance on an F-250 Diesel is very
expensive. ?At the 2001 price, I was just not interested in spending the
 extra 4K$. ?Plus I didn't want the cost of the huge air filter or the
dual big batteries.

So right now, using 3.45 for gas, 3.90 for
diesel, pretty accurate where I am, and 66K miles, and 15 mpg for gas
and 20 mpg for diesel, I get that I would have spent $2310 less in fuel
now than I have. ?However, I had to spend 4K$ for the ability to save
that money.

I realize that it's not an amazing amount of money
I'm saving 12 years later, but I've had absolutely no issues with the
truck, gas works fine, I've pulled a 300TD from Atlanta to here, etc
etc.

Now if you want to look at little cars, I am thinking about
either a new Jetta TDI or a new Prius. ?I am back to thinking about gas
vs diesel, and your numbers have more validity. ?I've rented both cars,
and find they are very similiar as far as utility is concerned. ?Now I
have to make the decision about gas and diesel again. ?