I like to look at it the easy way, 30 miles for $3.65 is right at 12 cents/mile. 40 miles at $4 is 10 cents/mile. Gas would cost 2 cents more per mile so if each car were to go 30 miles that would cost you 60 cents more for the gas.

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:37:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>

So far north of gas?

I got my aunt with this the other day, they have a diesel Passat and a gasser Volvo. We talked it out and if you aim low on the Passat and say 40mpg and say 30mpg on the Volvo which is probably slightly optimistic that gives the Passat a 33% advantage right?

If gas is $3.65 and diesel is $4 (and thats a bad spread, its not as bad here) thats 35 cents difference or around 9%. So my contention is that you spend an extra 9 cents to save 33. You don't have to hit me twice with a stick...

-Curt