From: Greg Fiorentino [mailto:gf...@dslnorthwest.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:39 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: 240D Mystery Bolt????

Hi All:

My son was driving his 3-pedal 1980 240D ( with about 300K mi.) yesterday
when the car began to run warm.  Suddenly he heard a loud PLINK, and
something falling out of the engine compartment.  Then the engine overheated
and he began to lose coolant.  The following very large (18mm thread) broken
10.9 bolt with 3 thick washers was recovered:

http://my.opera.com/gfior/albums/show.dml?id=14664462

Aside from running very hot the engine seems to run normally.

Does any of you have an idea what happened and where this bolt came from?

He will be driving SWMBO's TDI Jetta until we sort this out.

TIA,

Greg