I actually read a version of the law before the one that had to be passed to find out what was in it. It was like 1200 pages long pdf, but it was widely spaced and not much on each page, so it went pretty fast. the thing that struck me about it was how much of it had very little to do with provision of health/medical care, and how much asserted that various commissions, boards, panels, etc. were to go off and figure it out, without a lot of guidance on what "it" actually was. A lot of it also related to other laws that needed to be changed, superseded, deleted, etc. to read differently in various provisions of those. So there was actually not much of anything in there that one could divine what was actually meant or intended. Most curious, but then I thought about it, and it became clearer.

I questioned a local candidate for the state legislature, who was waxing enthusiastic about the PPACA, if he had actually read the law and understood it sufficiently to 1) be enthusiastic and 2) vote on things in the legislature regarding the law and whatever requirements it would impose on the state. His response was that no, he had not actually read it, and did not know anyone who had, at which point I said "I did" and he then said, "Well, it is Obama's law, so I am all for it!" This guy is a black democrat, which reflects most of our population in this district, so I sorta expected that, but was also disappointed he could not think for himself. He is a nice guy though, and seems to actually do stuff if you ask him, so I guess you can't get the whole package.

--R