Congress said, "Do this" and the president decided to do something else. Not sure what consequences there are to that unilateral action (which is not really allowed) but there you go.

Only one, that I know of: Impeachment, followed by replacement
by the next guy in line, who's presumably more willing to execute
the law as passed.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

That _is_ the feedback mechanism.  The check, or balance.
Whatever you want to call it.

Congress needs no more justification than "we want to" to
eject a president.  But a lot of 'em have to want it bad,
enough to risk their own later reprisals at the polls.

-- Jim