B-58 Hustler was built in the time frame when Jet A was cheap and nukes had
to be hand delivered.  That era passed pretty quickly with the cold war and
the missile silos built all over the place.  Then came space.... with the
capacity to put a nuke in orbit and leave it there, ready to drop on a
moments notice for delivery anywhere on the earth in less time than it
takes to run through the pre-flight checklist on the B-58.......

Then there is kinetic Energy Weapons system... it doesn't even use nuke...
it's just a titanium pole [pick your size and diameter] dropped from space
and guided by GPS or other secret guidance systems, so there is no launch
signature.  It's reported that delivery time from geosynchronous orbit is
something on the order of 6 minutes from release to impact.  For a weapon
10 ft long 10 inches diameter, it's reported that Impact at 64,000 MPH
delivers energy on the same scale of a 5 to 8 megaton nuke, with zero
fallout or residual..  It is unconfirmed, of course, that we may or may not
have such a weapon in inventory, however, it is confirmed that Russia
developed such a device. Presumption is, USA has equal or better...  The
leaked Russian code name for their weapon was "Stalins Hammer"...

Why rush.... conventional weapons can come at any time of the night with
the present stealth planes.  You can't see them so they don't have to out
run surface to air missiles.
That way, politicians have time to make excuses.

Isn't technology great?