Along a similar issue, one of the seatbelt grabbers (the thing you stick the belt into) was not grabbing on the SD. I poked around at it, thinking some crud had gotten in there that was keeping it from going all the way down to engage the tab. Not the case. So I started squirting PB in there and working the release and using a screwdriver to push on the grabber tab and finally got it loose and working. I guess it just got goobered up after 29 years.

I would suggest something similar on your retractor, I had that problem on some former car and it was the ratchet thingie that grabbed the gear on the retractor that was goobered. Some cleaning/lube dealt with it.

Watch the liver rally too!

Go http://new.livestream.com/CanLiv/liverrally

--R