Well, I decided to go all in on the door closing assist issue today.  Earlier
in the week I bought a used door latch on eBay for $30 shipped that had the
suspect microswitch.

I got the latch unfastened and dropped down into the door, but without taking
the rear window slide out, it's not coming out.  I'm not about to start dinking
with the window, so I am attempting repairs in-situ.

Here's what I found:

Microswitch was not bad.  It's mounted (plastic riveted) into a housing that
clips onto the latch mechanism.  The housing is broken, which allowed the
microswitch to just sort of hang in place.  This being the case, it wouldn't
make proper mechanical contact with the mechanism, hence the reason for the
closing assist not working.

Since the switch is plastic riveted to the housing with the broken clips, I
can't just replace the switch, I have to swap the whole housing out with the
replacement.  Not a big deal, however, I will have to splice it into the
existing microswitch harness, as the connector has three wires going into it,
as my latch has another microswitch on this circuit for the door lock.  Looks
like the driver's door has the additional lock circuit (the used latch I got
was from a left rear door.

I'm currently taking a quick lunch break then I'm heading back out to splice
the new switch into the harness.  Once that is completed I'll reassemble
everything and hopefully it will work.

Getting the latch assembly loose was not a fun undertaking, but it wasn't so
bad that I anticipate problems getting it all back together....

More as I know it.

Dan