On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:46:44 -0500 Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
wrote:

> Interesting development from Chrysler,
>

> http://www.autonews.com/article/20131112/OEM04/131119977/chrysler-mimics-human-lung-to-broaden-cng-use

I finally got around to following the link. It's very short on details.

I cannot right now see how having lung-alveoli-like features in a CNG
storage tank would help things, other than their claim of being able to
shape the tank to fit the vehicle.

The reason for lung alveoli is to increase the surface area of tissue
(and proximity to small blood vessels) contacting air. For a compressed
natural gas tank, I would think going this route would increase weight
for the same amount of gas stored. In addition, safety could be a
nightmare with many more points were rust could cause a failure of the
tank.

Craig