DOT 4.  Do NOT use DOT 5.  DOT 3 and 4 are compatible.  DOT 5 isn't.

DOT3 will swell the brake hoses shut. Not a happy day. DOT 3 sucks DONT USE DOT3 ever in any german machine.

Good stuff is Castrol GT/LMA brake fluid, or the ATE stuff, if you can find it, or MB $juice$ from the stealership.

BEWARE! Flaps are now selling synthetic DOT3/4. I have no data about that stuff, so I assume it is as bad as DOT3. It is neither DOT 3 nor DOT4.

There is a DOT5e that is compatible with DOT3 and Dot 4. I think it is a synDot3/4 with a higher boiling point. Again, until there is some data, I assume it is not compatible with MB.

True DOT5 (Silicone) brake fluid may be used in 80s vintage MBs if you do it right. That involves flushing the system to get all the DOT4 stuff out. I did it by multiple bleeding until I no longer found the bubbles of DOT 4 mixed with the DOT 5 that you flush out. A good time to make the switch is if you need a new master cyl anyway.

True DOT5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT3 or DOT 4 or DOT5e.

DOT 5 is good stuff and MB components are compatible with it. DOT 5 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 Or DOT 4. It is not as hygroscopic as DOT3 or DOT 4.

Brake fluids have gotten a lot more confused in the last few years with this DOT3/4 and DOT 5e synthetics.

I found an independent flaps today that has 4 QUARTS of castrol GT/LMA DOT4 today. I bought 2 qts. I will be changing out brake hoses on one car in the next few days. The other qt, I will take home.

Oreally, advance, and autozoƱa dont have it. Oreally is the only one that has a DOT4 . (in their haus-brand)