> >Rich Thomas wrote:
> >
> > She had it towed to a shop.  Guy changed the in-line filter and
> > said it was leaking at the hose somewhere and letting air in,
> > so fixed that, it runs now.  He also checked oil and said he
> > put in 4qt (!!!) and said engine was smoking and was on last
> > legs.  This would be a new issue. Daughter would have checked
> > oil before departing, so she at least stays on that.

> Mitch wrote:
>
> What's your trust level here?
>
> Started smoking after he overfilled it by 4 quarts?

Yeah!  Mechanic looks at the transmission dipstick.  "Hey! It's
low." so he puts 10W30 in the crankcase, checks the transmission
dipstick again. "Hmm.  No change.  I'd better add more"  After four
quarts are in he quits 'cause it still isn't changing the level on
the dipstick.

--   Philip, speculating.